Tuesday, December 6, 2016

#SOL16:: Fly


Fly

It's been a while since I have written on the blog. And lately, I have felt compelled to start writing again about my adventures. A lot has happened since my last post, where I shared my one little word. Fly. Man, have I flown!

In the past 11 months, I have left my teaching job in San Diego. I said "until next time" (I don't believe in goodbyes!) to my closest friends. I moved to Philadelphia for the summer to be with family. And mostly recently, I have become a New York City resident and teacher. To say the least, it has been a whirlwind of laughs, meltdowns and personal growth.

It has definitely been crazy. However, it has been the best kind of crazy. You see at times I wasn't quite sure I was strong or brave enough to actually leave a steady job and a place that I called home for 9 years. But I did it. And in the process I learned a lot about myself.

I learned that life is full of the expected and the unexpected. And I am working on how I handle the unexpected. I learned that living in a fifth-floor walk up and working on the fifth floor is a great source of exercise. I learned that you don't stand too close to the curb when it raining unless you want to get soaked. I learned that the best way to build Ikea furniture is with friends. I learned  fear will inch in as soon it can. I learned that New York students are just as easy to love as my San Diego ones and they are the best tour guides. However, the most important thing I have come to realize is that no dream is too big.

Throughout this process, I truly have felt so lucky and blessed. I am lucky to have support of my family and friends through this transition. They have truly encouraged me when all I wanted to do was quit. And to be honest, I wouldn't change it for anything. When I chose the word "fly" as my one little word, I had only hoped that this move would end up the way it has. So as I begin the last month of 2016, I only hope to continue to fly.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... you really have flown!! So brave and daring. I'm so impressed! Why did you want to leave San Diego?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Most of my family lives on the East Coast, so I wanted to be closer to them. Also, I hope to work with The Reading and Writing Project as a Staff Developer someday. So it made sense to make the move to NYC. :)

      Delete