Sunday, March 22, 2015

#SOL15:: March 22, 2015



Finishing a book. 

The feeling when you finish a book is indescribable. I just finished Something Blue by Emily Giffin. It was an easy read, but really hooked me. 


I must admit that as an avid book reader I hate finishing books to a certain extent. I know that is why I have such a hard time finishing books. While I want to see how the plot evolves and what happens with the characters, I don't want it to end. 

In Something Blue, I got swept away with Darcy's growth in maturity. In the first book of the series, Something Borrowed, Darcy is very materialistic and self-absorbed. However, through this book she consciously works on improving herself. The last two lines of the book has gotten me thinking. Giffin wrote, "Love and friendship. They are what make us who we are, and what can change us, if we let them." I absolutely love this. 

I love that books let us escape into a world different than ours. I love that books teach us lessons. I love I can have a different vision of a character or a setting in a book than a friend. I love that reading brings about all of these emotions. 

Finishing a book brings just as many emotions. 

7 comments:

  1. Agreed! I think the worst thing is having to come back to reality sometimes. I have found it especially hard recently. All I want to do is see what happens next, for the adventure to continue... and not have to grade papers where kids just kind of sort of maybe tried and didn't care at all. Can't I just read???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The easy reads that really hook us are sometimes the best; then there are the ones that are far more complicated and I find myself taking them in small doses so that they are not over too quickly. This is what "I hate finishing books to a certain extent" made me think of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post resonated with me on so many levels. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting a book to end! I also appreciated your comments about all of the things that books can do for us (escape, teach us, bringing about so many different emotions). I'm also wondering what you'll choose to read next:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading All the Light We Cannot See. I am in a book club and that is the book we chose. I am a couple chapters in a really enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. I Just finished an Emily Griffin book this weekend too! The One and Only.
    It was similar - an escape book, that pulled me in. I'm a plot junky, so I read fast, and then suddenly BAM! the book is done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate it when a book ends too. Sometimes I will re-read the book and not finish reading the ending, so I can have the characters around longer.
    I will look for this author. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when a book ends too. Sometimes I will re-read the book and not finish reading the ending, so I can have the characters around longer.
    I will look for this author. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete