Friday, March 13, 2015

#SOL15:: March 13, 2015

The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers. 
Join us for a month of writing!


I can go to college!



I have been waiting several days to share this slice of life. To be honest, this has to be one of the highlights of my week. 

One of my students, Alexa, is extremely hardworking. This year has not been an easy one for her due to her grandmother having cancer. She is shy at first, but soon enough her silly side will come out. Alexa is an English Language Learner and is working on becoming proficient in English. This year she has grown as a reader and writer. Today, I want to share a moment that I will never forget.

This week I graded their rough drafts of their argument essays. She received a 3, which equivalent to a A/B. I was beyond excited to share this with her. I purposely put her's at the bottom of the stack so she would be the last one on the carpet and we could celebrate together. 

I started passing the drafts back and my writers were waiting in anticipation. Finally, I got to her's and she had this nervous/ worried look on her face. Of course, I had the biggest grin. I flipped the paper around so she could see it. She was stunned. She squinted to make sure it was her's and jumped up in joy. 

She asked me, "Are you sure that is mine? Are you sure I got a 3?" 

"Why, yes I am! You deserve it!" I replied. She quickly went back to her seat and got right to work on revising and editing. 

Little did I know, she would go back to her third grade teacher and tell her all about later that day. My colleague emailed me that night telling me about how excited Alexa was and how she couldn't believe it!

Alexa came in the next morning to get some help in math. I pulled out her rough draft and told her to go find Ms. Guthrie. She walked out of my room standing tall and proud. 

Ten minutes later, she came back in with the biggest smile. I asked her, "So what did she think?"

"She thinks that I can go to college!" Alexa replied. 

"Well.. of course, you can. You can do anything you put your mind to." I assured her. 

"You really think so?" She asked. In that moment, it all hit me. This grade meant more than just her progressing towards mastering another language. This grade signified a change in her mindset. She was starting believe that this was an option for. 

"Why wouldn't you be able to go? You are just as capable as anyone else. As long as you work hard and put your mind to it, you can do it!" I told her. 

"You're right!" She exclaimed. 

From that moment on, something changed even more inside her. I really do hope she realizes that her dream of being a doctor is never too far way. 

2 comments:

  1. It's been a blessing to see the change and growth in her this year. :) Go Trojans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are there to encourage her and give her the assurance that she can succeed. It is what I hope teachers do all the time.

    ReplyDelete