Tuesday, March 10, 2015

#SOL15:: March 10, 2015


The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers. 
Join us for a month of writing!

"I just can't wait to write today!"

I hear the chatter of the voices as they come to the carpet for our mini-lesson. One voice happily tells her friend, "I just can't wait to write today!" 

Right then and there, I knew I could go home a happy teacher. I had been waiting for this day for weeks, actually months. At the beginning of the school year, I sat down with my associate principal and discussed my goals for this year. I told her that I really wanted to work on my writing instruction and becoming a writer myself. I was also determined to change the minds of my students to think and live their lives as writers. 

Well... today, I finally was able to see that their minds have changed

As the rest of them came to the carpet and joined, I asked my writer, "Why do you feel this way?" 

She replied, "I finally feel like I am getting good at it." 

Boy, was she right! Tonight, I had the opportunity to read her second draft of her argument essay. It was good. She has nearly convinced me to not allow chocolate milk to be served in schools. 

Lucy inspired other students. Other writers chimed in by agreeing with her. They were excited to try our new strategy of explaining our evidence in our writing. I released my writers to their working time. Again, I heard the same chatter of voices leaving the carpet. Only this time, it was not just one writer that was excited, but all the writers. 


3 comments:

  1. What a great day! Those are the ones we live for. At first I thought it was you who couldn't wait to write. And I wonder if their enthusiasm brought you to the blog tonight with a new energy? I know writing regularly is fueling my own excitement in this challenge. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! Those are the ones we live for. At first I thought it was you who couldn't wait to write. And I wonder if their enthusiasm brought you to the blog tonight with a new energy? I know writing regularly is fueling my own excitement in this challenge. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! For all the things that are difficult, for all the ways teaching can be challenging, there are these beautiful moments. How easily you're reminded me just how much I miss teaching! :)

    ReplyDelete