Sunday, March 1, 2015

#SOL15 Day 1:: March 1, 2015


The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
Join us for a month of writing!

Here we go! Jasmine Marie persuaded me to participate in this year's Slice of Life challenge, by writing a slice each day in March. 

I must openly admit that I am nervous about this challenge. I am definitely one of those people who has a hard time staying committed to challenges like these. However, with that said, I am also really excited to share my slice of life stories. 

I have been waiting a while to tell this slice of life story, so I thought it would be perfect for the first day of this challenge. 

On December 29, 2014, I jumped out of an airplane... and I LOVED every minute of it. You need to know that I don't consider myself a dare devil by any means. To this day, I still get nervous crossing certain bridges and I hate going on certain roller coasters (ones that go upside down or where your feet dangle). 

However, this was a once in a life time opportunity. I wasn't just going with anyone... I was going with a student's dad, who is a Navy Seal. I had been thinking about going skydiving for a while and I shared this with him. He had asked what was holding me back and I told him, "I don't feel like I could put my life in a stranger's hands." 

A couple of months passed. It was the day before winter break and they told me that as my Christmas present they would like to take me skydiving. I was ECSTATIC. I mean talk about the ultimate gift. I naturally said yes. 


December 29th was the day that we decided on. I was actually pretty calm until we got into the airplane and took off. They have to take you up to 13,000 feet.  So the plane is zigzagging until it reaches that height. No one talked on the plane, except for Jim, my student's dad. He kept smiling at me and all I kept saying to myself was "What in the world was I doing?!" 

The next thing I knew it was time. I just kept telling myself to remain calm. However, I COULD NOT REMAIN CALM. I was jumping out of a plane for goodness sakes. 

And we jumped

The experience of free falling in the air is nothing that I have ever experienced before. I felt weightless. I felt free. I felt calm. I felt revived. I felt like me. For the past several months, I felt like I was searching for who I was as a person. And in that moment, I felt like I found myself again. 

He pulled the parachute and we were dangling in the sky. It was an absolutely beautiful day. We could see all the way from Tijuana to La Jolla. It was absolutely gorgeous. It took my breathe away. 

Once we landed, my legs were shaking. It took me a couple steps to get my land legs back. I couldn't believe how fast it had seemed to go by. It felt like it had not even happened. 

I have been asked if I would ever go again and I DEFINITELY would. 

The Chronicles of a Teacher (and a Skydiver)


17 comments:

  1. Ummmm... you must be a daredevil at heart because I would have said, "No thanks!" to that gift! Ha! I loved your sentence: And then we jumped. Just like that, huh? Your sense of awe and peace really come through in this Slice - I can definitely tell what that jump meant to you.

    Very cool experience and a great Slice of Life Story to boot! Welcome to our writing community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana! It was definitely an incredible experience that in a strange way bring peace.

      Delete
  2. Wow!! Isn't it amazing how sometimes we find ourselves where we least expect? How cool you were able to experience this and what a great role model you are for your students--you did something that scared you a bit...but you only live once! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Samantha for those kind words! I was able to show them the video and discuss the idea of overcoming our fears! It was a great learning moment for all of us.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great gift!!!! This sounds like so, so, so much fun! I would love to try skydiving someday! Looking forward to reading more of your slices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you should go! You won't regret it!

      Delete
  5. writing every day will be a piece of cake after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think this challenge will be a lot easier than that.

      Delete
  6. Love that you wrote about this. And that we're doing this SOL challenge together. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing experience! I'm so glad you shared. I'm new to the challenge too though I've written slices every once in a while. It should be a month of learning and connecting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What an amazing experience! I think you will have no trouble at all conquering the SOL challenge. :) I'm new to the challenge too this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't decide if I wish I had a Navy Seal as a parent in my classroom or not. I hope I would be as brave as you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my welcome aboard the Slice of Life. What an intriguing story. It wouldn't matter who gave me the gift of sky diving, I'm not sure I have the nerve to do that. Kudos to you for taking on the challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to comment on someone who didn't have many comments yet,but what the heck. The rules don't say we have to LIMIT ourselves to three comments, we can always write more:-) So I guess I will. Because reading your slice was just so amazing. What an awesome experience as a teacher, lifelong learner, community builder...I can't wait to read more of your writing. BTW - I am a first time challenge slicer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that you find a different part of yourself by writing here. You've definitely made the jump, and while it's a different kind of free fall, I think it's incredibly rewarding. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, now that is a unique gift! I guess if you're going to skydive, a Navy Seal is the person to do it with! Glad you jumped into this challenge as well -- I hope you'll find it just as rewarding and fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete