Sunday, December 14, 2014

Girls on the Run

It's been a while since I have been able to post! Last Saturday, I was able to have an experience of a lifetime and was truly inspired by one of my past students.

This year I have had the privilege of being the head coach for the Girls on the Run program. It is a character development for girls that allows the opportunity to train and run in a 5k just for them. We have focused on self-esteem, choosing friends, how to handle negativity, and community service.



Throughout this season, I have been able to get to know the girls. We have truly become a team and a family. On Saturday, I witnessed just how close we had all become. Saturday was our 5k. Each girl has to run with an adult (aka running buddy) and I was paired with one of my girls from last year, Natalia.

Let me tell you about Natalia. Natalia is incredibly sweet. Last year, there was not a day that went by when she didn't ask if I or a peer needed help. She showed up every day with a smile on her face. Natalia geniuuely loved to learn. She always gave everything 110% effort. So I would expect nothing less from her on her big day!

We approached the starting line. One of the other coaches asked her, "What is your goal for the run?" Natalia replied, "I want to jog the whole thing." Right then, I saw a special look in her eye, determination. This look reappeared several times throughout the run.

I am proud to say that Natalia ran the ENTIRE 5k. This is a feat for any 11 year old girl and she did it with determination. She inspired us all that day.



At our last practice on Tuesday, we all shared out one of our favorite moments from the season. She shared that it was crossing the finish line and having us there to support her. She said, "During that moment, I felt I could anything." And she was right, she could and can do anything she puts her mind to.

Girls on the Run is such an amazing program for young girls. It truly lets them see who they are inside and empowers them to work towards their goals. I am so very glad that I was able to bring the program to my school.

Happy running,

The Chronicles of a Teacher (and Runner)

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration to us all. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've inspired me too find something in Philadelphia that I can do to make a difference. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete