Monday, December 22, 2014

Channeling the Inner "Turkey"

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your friends and family (sorry, it's a little late)! I definitely enjoyed all the festivities, especially the ones in my classroom.

 This year I wanted to do a Thanksgiving craft that would tie in with 30 Days of Thankful. As well as a craft that the students would be able to share with their families and keep for years to come. Each student made a placemat that tied in with their 30 Days of Thankful and allowed them to channel their "inner turkey."

I decided to have the students choose three of the things they were thankful for. Students wrote about each thing and elaborated as to why they were thankful for it. Of course, the teacher in me made them do a rough draft and write an introduction and conclusion. I read over each one before they wrote their final draft on the template below.


After we finished our writing piece, we channeled our "inner turkey." The making of the turkey was fairly simple.

First, I made a template for the basic shapes we would need, such as a small sized circle, a medium sized circle, and a small feather. I made copy of the template for each student. 

Second, I had a parent cut squares of each color that we would need. So my parent cut two brown squares for the body and head of the turkey and two of orange, yellow, and red for the feathers. 

In the actual making of the turkey, we cut out the templates and traced our feathers, body, and head. We arranged them on the right side of the 11" x 18" construction paper. Students added their own flare to their turkies, such as bow ties, hats,microphones, clothes, etc. 

Finally, when they were finished we laminated them to make them "food" proof! 

It's a great reflection activity as well as something they will be able to keep for a long time. I was so impressed with their thoughtful reflections. While I did have some who said they were thankful for the game console, I had more students write about how they were thankful for their family, food on the table, and a shelter. One student even said she was thankful for a good life! Overall, it was a great activity and I can't wait to do it again next year! 

Check out some of the student samples below! 





I wish you a wonderful holiday season filled with family, friends, and food! 

The Chronicles of a Teacher


1 comments:

  1. Such a great idea. Love it! maybe for the new year you can help them set goals around some of their reflections.

    ReplyDelete